There are tons of studies that show the benefits of coconut oil in relation to improved health, including the following benefits:
- Balances Hormones
- Kills Candida
- Improves Digestion
- Moisturizes Skin
- Reduces Cellulite
- Decreases Wrinkles and Age Spots
- Balances Blood Sugar and Improve Energy
- Improves Alzheimer’s
- Increases HDL and Lower LDL Cholesterol
- Burns Fat
Check out (more than) a few ways you can use it everyday:
Coconut Oil For Cooking & Eating
1) Cooking at a high heat (sautéing & frying). Because of coconut oil's high smoke point it is a great alternative to other cooking oils.
2) Non-dairy spread for toast, bagels, etc.
3) Non-dairy coffee creamer.
4) Healthy replacement for vegetable oil in your favorite recipes.
5) Natural energy booster. The medium chain triglycerides in coconut oil, when partnered with chia seeds, will give you an energy boost when you need a mid-afternoon pickup, or after a strenuous workout.
6) Healthy popcorn spread. Melt the coconut oil and add a little salt for a similar taste to butter.
7) Replacement for non-stick cooking spray.
8) Sports drink replacement. Coconut oil gives the body quick energy in the form of its quick acting MCFA fats. Instead of relying on sugary processed drinks, try adding coconut oil and chia seeds to water with fresh fruit.
9) Prolong the shelf life of your eggs. You can use coconut oil to seal the pores in an eggshell and prolong the life of the eggs in your refrigerator. Try swiping a small amount of oil over the shells of the eggs and leaving it to penetrate. This method should extend the life of your eggs for 1-2 weeks.
10) Eat it by the Spoonful! Coconut oil is that delicious and healthy! Enjoy one spoonful each morning for improved health and more energy.
Coconut Oil For Beauty & Skin
1) Chemical-free face & body moisturizer. You can use coconut oil all over your body in place of lotion. Apply directly after showering for best results.
2) Cheekbone highlighter. A very small amount of coconut oil applied over your make up on your cheek bones will give you a radiant glow.
3) Eye makeup remover. Gently smooth coconut oil over your eye makeup and wipe off with a moist towel. You will notice your eye lashes becoming stronger and longer too!
4) Shaving lotion. Coconut oil gives you a close shave and a moisturizer at the same time.
5) Diaper rash cream (or any rash for that matter). Apply regularly to the irritated area to improve skin health. It can also help sooth psoriasis or eczema.
6) Wrinkle reducer. For areas of concern, dab just a touch on the area to help fight pre-maturing aging. Leave the oil on overnight to soak in, and wake up looking refreshed.
7) Stretch mark preventer/recovery. This safe, healthy oil can be applied multiple times each day to help moisturize your stretching skin. You can use it to help reduce the appearance of old stretch marks too.
8) Bath soak. Melt about 1/4 cup in the microwave and add it to your bath water and soak.
9) Tanning oil and after-sun care. Coconut oil is a great way get a deeper tan and keep your skin moist. It is also a great moisturizer to use after you've gotten a bit too much sun, or if you just want to extend the life of your tan.
10) Body scrub. Mix equal parts oil and sugar to make a natural body scrub.
11) Face scrub. Combine coconut oil with Himalayan crystal salt and apply to face each night. Gently wash off and follow with coconut oil as a moisturizer.
12) Leave-in overnight conditioner. Rub a small amount of oil into hair (mostly at ends), comb through and put hair in a loose bun before bed, and wash out in the morning.
Other Uses For Coconut Oil
1) Natural throat lozenges. Use coconut oil in place of store-bought cough drops that are usually made using artificial flavors and colors. Swallow 1/2-1 teaspoon 3 times a day to sooth a sore throat.
2) Coconut oil pulling. Oil pulling is all the rage right now. To improve the health of your teeth and gums, oil pulling is the way to go. In Ayurvedic medicine practice, oil pulling is used to detoxify the mouth, killing bad breath, fighting bacteria, cures tooth decay, and helps to boost the immune system by pulling toxins out. Swish 1 tablespoon of coconut oil immediately after rising in the morning. Spend 10-20 minutes swishing; do not swallow the oil. Spit the oil into the trashcan and rinse with sea salt water.
3) Feed it to your dog or cat. Coconut oil isn't just healthy for humans. Here is some info on the benefits for dogs and cats.
4) Toothpaste. I use pure coconut oil, but here is an easy recipe you can check out.
5) Wound care. Coconut oil can be used as a topical protector for wounds, shielding them with a thin chemical layer from outside contaminants. You can apply a small amount of coconut oil to small scrapes and cuts.
6) Insect repellent. Mix a tablespoon of coconut oil with a couple of drops of peppermint, rosemary, and tea tree oil to repel flies, mosquitos, gnats, and bees. This is a safe alternative to DEET and can be applied safely on all areas of the body.
7) Remove gum from hair or furniture. If you haven't ever had gum stuck in your hair or on your furniture, I hope you never do. If you are one of these unfortunate souls try this-- Apply coconut oil to help the gum let up and easily get removed, without leaving any colors or stains.
We know this list could go on and on, but we chose a few of our favorites from each of the categories. What are a few of your favorite ways to use coconut oil?